Hi there!

Hi there!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

OVERACHIEVER... ARE YOU ONE?

My bestie at work, JLo, and I text all the time.  Usually at the end of the day about something that happened at work, and ALWAYS before work. We do this because of our work environment, and the importance of being prepared for anything and everything that may happen. For instance, he may need to remind me to "not look ugly" or I may need to remind him to "spray tan."  At any rate, we are frequent texters. 


Lately we have been switching off getting coffee or tea at SBUX of a morning. (as mentioned before, we are besties) So this morning, I return home from bootcamp, and run into the bathroom to get into the shower like I do every morning. (I like routines) I take extremely quick showers, mainly because I strongly feel I am ADD, and I get bored. I bounce out of the shower, and hear my text signal. Its JLo- "just got to the office" he says. WTF! Its 6:52 in the morning. We don't have to be at work until 8:30. (actually 9:00 according to the employee manual, but no one follows the manual). One hour and thirty eight minutes early. I would call this overachieving. By no means would I consider myself lazy, or an "underachiever", I simply believe I am "on par." Being on par is awesome. Why the hell would I want to walk into work an hour and thirty eight minutes early, when I know I am going to be staying late. JLo and I stay late alot at work, and this really doesn't bother me. I would prefer to do my overachieving at the end of the day, rather than at the beginning.


By the time I get to work (at 8:30), JLo is happily working away in his office. I walk in to discuss our upcoming trip to Antlers. He insists we leave at 6:30. Leave from the office at 6:30! Holy Moly! My suspicions are confirmed, he is an overachiever. Probably always has been and always will be.  This creates a conundrum for me. Should I start trying to overachieve? Is his overachieveness going to make me look like an underachiever, or will people realize I am achieving at the correct level. It wouldn't be called overachieving if you were achieving just the right amount. 


Now I start thinking of all the overachievers from HS and College, and Law School. This leads me to a little story I like to call "Dyke Bank." Yes, it was a nickname of someone in law school, which my friend KP and I gave someone from our class. DB liked to overachieve and shoot that hand up before each question could even finish spilling out the professors mouth. I mean, even if I wanted to answer the question, which I never did, simply because I didn't want people to hate me for being soooo smart. I mean I'm sure everyone thought I was probably 1 or 2 in the class, so why keep rubbing it in. Anyways, DB shot the hand up every time, it was truly amazing, and regretfully, probably one of the reasons DB and I never got as close as I knew we could.  


I bring this blog to a close because I just received a text from JLo, and now I feel guilty.  


Arrivaderci!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment: